SWEETCORN, CRAB AND CHILLI RISOTTO
This is one of those recipes I almost didn’t blog. Why? Well, it includes an ingredient that for some reason seems a little embarrassing. A bit like scrolling through my albums in front of Ed the sound recordist the other day to find ‘Ethiopique – music of the 60’s and 70’s recorded on 2 tracks in Adis Ababa’ and alighting on a Susan Boyle track I downloaded in a moment of utter despair, I fear that while searching through my larder you will find artisan dried chickpeas and three brands of cocounut milk, you will also always, but always find this: Several tins of sweetcorn. There, I’ve said it. It’s out. I like sweetcorn.
I also like pureed sweetcorn but it’s pretty hard to do in a conventional blender and always requires passing through a sieve to get a truly smooth consistency. So imagine my delight when I realized that this was yet another task my lovely loaner Thermomix could master.
So bear with me on this one. I might sound a bit odd but it’s a very comforting and tasty dish. A little note of that Chinese crab and sweetcorn thing, and the heft of a creamy Italian risotto but without the overload of butter and cheese…the sweetcorn brings a creaminess without the added fat. And it’s a lovely sunny colour.
SWEETCORN, CRAB AND CHILI RISOTTO
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 shallot
- 10g butter
- 50g Arborio rice
- 20g white wine
- 100g chicken stock
- ½ red chili, finely chopped
- 150g white crab meat
- chopped chives
- salt & pepper
- Put the tin of sweetcorn in the Thermomix and blend speed 10/2 minutes. Check and make sure it’s very smooth. Give another blast if it isn’t. Scrape out of jug and set aside.
- Give the Thermomix jug a quick rinse and add the shallot. 10 seconds/speed 5 to chop finely. Add the butter and sauté 4 mins/100C/reverse stir
- Add the rice 3 mins/100C/reverse stir
- Add the wine 3 mins/100C/reverse stir.
- When the wine has almost evaporated add the stock and chili and set for 12 mins/100C/reverse stir.
- Add the crab meat, and as much of the sweetcorn mix as necessary to create a creamy consistency. Heat through on 100C/reverse stir for a couple of minutes. In the last moment stir through the chives and serve in a warm bowl and try not to blush.
Non-Thermomix – blend the sweetcorn in a food processor or blender and pass through a fine sieve if you can be bothered. Then make the risotto thus:
- In a heavy based pan, melt the butter and add the shallots to soften.
- Add the rice and toast for a few moments.
- Add the wine and allow it to absorb almost completely before adding the stock a little at a time, stirring as you go.
- Add the chili half way through.
- Taste and when the rice has a little bit stir through as much of the sweetcorn puree as you wish to get a creamy consistency.
- Add the crab and warm through.
- Lastly, add the chives and serve in a warm bowl.